If you’re new to web design and development, starting your own agency or are just getting to grips with freelancing – here are some handy tips to avoid mistakes on quoting for projects.
When I originally drafted this post I titled it “Dark UX patterns and Company Ethics” but I think the problem goes even deeper than that.
Maybe I’m late to the party but designing websites in a static fashion in something like Photoshop (or even Sketch) isn’t working anymore.
A fast and performant website is incredibly important. Mobile and tablet usage are on the rise, people are busy and increasingly impatient, everyone wants to get to content more quickly. Although this post is tailored to WordPress there are still some great takeaways for any web project so even if you’re not running a WordPress website, read on to learn some neat tips and tricks you may not have already heard of.
I’ve got a friend who reminded me of this situation recently, now let me setup the story.
You’re a freelancer/agency/professional and you are good at your job. You’re busy, right? You’re really busy and you have clients and projects and schedules and proposals to write. If you’re good you should be busy, if the client wants to use you, you should be busy – that’s kind of the point.
Well, imagine this scenario and I’m sure many of you have been there, I know I have in the past. You spend weeks of back and forth with a client, getting their requirements right, getting every aspect of the project mapped out. The Project Specification is sorted, you’ve got enough to write a proposal and provide a quote. Great, well done!
If you’ve googled the above title like me and came up with a bunch of links on how to enqueue (or load) CSS or JS whilst you are in the admin area, you will have had a ton of stuff related to admin_enqueue_scripts which you don’t want…
It’s been a while since I relaunched my company website, 2nd Floor. I worked hard to get the best performance I could from the website, running multiple page speed tests and really trying to hone it down.
After hours of experimentation (yes I got a bit obsessed with it) I was able to get a good compromise between page speed and sensible site maintenance.